Speed dating chester cheshire top rated thailand dating site
In 1071 he made Hugh d'Avranches, who built Chester Castle, the first Earl of Chester.From the 14th century to the 18th century the city's prominent position in North West England meant that it was commonly also known as Westchester.It has a number of medieval buildings, but some of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are Victorian restorations.The Industrial Revolution brought railways, canals, and new roads to the city, which saw substantial expansion and development – Chester Town Hall and the Grosvenor Museum are examples of Victorian architecture from this period.(The town's importance is noted by its taking the simpler form in each case, while Isca Augusta in Monmouthshire, another important legionary base, was known first as Caerleon on the Usk, and now as Caerleon).King Arthur is said to have fought his ninth battle at the "city of the legions" (Caerlleon) and later St Augustine came to the city to try to unite the church, and held his synod with the Welsh Bishops.
One of the main army camps in Roman Britain, Deva later became a major civilian settlement.In 1911, Douglas' protégé and city architect James Strong designed the then active fire station on the west side of Northgate Street.Another feature of all buildings belonging to the estate of Westminster is the 'Grey Diamonds' – a weaving pattern of grey bricks in the red brickwork laid out in a diamond formation.In 616, Æthelfrith of Northumbria defeated a Welsh army at the brutal and decisive Battle of Chester, and probably established the Anglo-Saxon position in the area from then on.The Northumbrian Anglo-Saxons used an Old English equivalent of the British name, , which was current until the 11th century, when, in a further parallel with Welsh usage, the first element fell out of use and the simple name Chester emerged.
After the Roman troops withdrew, the Romano-British established a number of petty kingdoms. Deverdoeu was a Welsh name for Chester as late as the 12th century (cf Dyfrdwy, Welsh for the river Dee).